Effective digital communication: a brief checklist

Your message is effective if it accomplishes what you intend it to do. If you represent today's digital corporation, you need communications that:

  • Are designed for optimal delivery on multiple channels
  • Get attention (this is increasingly getting harder because digital channels are cheaper and therefore commonly used)
  • Are relevant and personalized to audience needs, expectations, and preferences
  • Integrate across all channels including the traditional such as direct mail
  • Are continually improved based on analytics data
  • Deliver targeted business outcomes.

My focus in the past several years has been on Software Discovery & Design (for the business outcomes driven BT era) and so this list may be a surprise to you. The communications world has changed a lot since the time (80s/90s) I had a full-time career in communications. However, having been continually involved in developing communications for my business units, my employers, and my own startup, my observation is that some of the fundamental principles still remain. Content is always a combination of both digital and traditional.

Allow me to throw in a plug! I created Cognizant's first corporate website and Cognizant's first employee newsletter (professional). My team also helped create Cognizant's employee intranet. My writing experience includes authoring a book and several articles all published in the US. I have ad agency experience (from the 80s though!) and a masters diploma in communications from Madras Christian College.