Christmas 2003, IBM, and Change!


That's me in the picture after shopping at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. That was back in December 2003. Picture courtesy: Arun Christian.

Here's what was significant about that San Francisco trip as regards "Change" (which you know is a dominant theme in this blog). Arun and I represented Cognizant, which interestingly -- and challengingly -- had to co-execute with IBM a software project for a large customer.

The IBM representative with whom we closely worked showed us a 30/40 page template we were supposed to use. Generally, nobody questions IBM, right? IBM does such thorough work. I know this because I've been involved in several projects done for IBM in locations such as Sweden, Japan, and the US back in the late 80s and 90s. I have learned a lot from that experience and I'm grateful to the organization. However, rather than the longish template, I suggested a one and half page checklist instead. I also showed how we could discover new insights and value by studying the as-is business processes by visiting the customer's call center.

We did study the call center (a 2-hour drive) and gave a one and half (or so) page recommendation. The IBM expert enjoyed the new way of doing things. And the customer was happy because they could see a different level of value coming out of this project.

Often, authors and thought-leaders suggest how to "control" people and things around you in order to make Change happen. From my 20+ years of experience constantly challenging the status quo, I can tell you that one of the fundamental things you need has to come from you ... COURAGE.

Merry Christmas to you! And wishing you COURAGE to Change things in the New Year!