Why don’t you want what I want?: The 3 faces of resistance to change

Having led an innovation-driven Change initiative at a young promising company that became an IT giant, I have to agree with Rick Maurer’s three faces of resistance:

1. “I’ve heard your idea and I don’t get it.”

2. “I don’t like it.”

3. “I don’t like you.”

I haven’t read his book (Why Don’t You Want What I Want?) yet, but here’s an excerpt:

“There’s a one-word reason most ideas never see the light of day: Resistance. Resistance is often behind the glassy-eyed stares you get following a presentation, the sarcastic put-downs you have to put up with when you describe your vision for a new product or service, and people’s abrupt departures from the watercooler when you approach, enthusiastic and ready to share an idea. What people are saying to you, either directly or indirectly, is I’ve heard your idea and I don’t get it, I don’t like it, or I don’t like you.”

First posted in WordPress on February 13, 2009