Cut to 1996 . . .

Leading a discussion about whether or not to "hide" one's earlier professions, I "revealed" my earlier professions in the previous post. Here, I add a couple of "unusual" things I did in the past, which were nevertheless important to my employer . . .

Today, Cognizant Technology Solutions is an 80,000-person company. Cut to 1996: you see a "promising venture" as it described itself back then.

During those early days, the company had a rudimentary webpage. Having picked up user interface education at University of California, Berkeley and combining that with my writing experience, I (with a colleague's help) produced the company's first real website.

Drawing on my Journalism & Mass Communication training, which I took in the 80s at Madras Christian College, I also produced Cognizant's first professional employee newsletter. I labeled it AWARE. I particularly like the label because I think it is meaningful, easy to say/spell, memorable, ... and "synonymes" with the word cognizant!

And, yes, my team also helped create the company's first Intranet under then CTO Deb Mukherjee's leadership.

Related article: The early days of a company and the significance of your contribution.